NSW Joining the ADF - Disclose Section 10?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeremy118

19 April 2017
Ok guys so quick question ,

A couple of years ago, I received a Section 10 (1) (B) with a 12-month good behavior bond. Now I was informed that after the bond was served, no further record would appear, etc.

To this end, I am looking at joining the ADF after I finish uni and wanted to know if I had to disclose this event if a question of 'guilty of a crime/conviction' or something comes up..

Also could this affect my app to join the military?

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Jeremy,
First of all I'm ex-defence and still work with defence. Its all about how they ask the question, 'have you ever been found guilty of a crime', 'do you have any outstanding convictions'. Just answer the question asked, honestly and openly. The Department of Defence wont necessarily reject your application because you have a criminal record but they will reject you for providing false or misleading information. They hold integrity in very high regard. Just be honest. But if they don't ask the question and you don't tell them its not that you aren't being dishonest, its that they don't want to know and you have no need to disclose it. All the best and I hope you have a great career with the ADF.

Reactions: Tim W