Job Application rejection. Is it about Age Discrimination?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Oneman

7 September 2017
Hi All,

I recently applied for two jobs with the same company, at two separate branches, but the same type of job, provided a covering letter and CV, and addressed the job selection criteria and position description and sent my application through on the company’s website, which by the way asked mandatory questions which forced me to divulge personal information, that made it quite easy to work out my age, marital status, membership of voluntary organisations etc. (Simply looking at my CV would have given a rough idea of my age, give or take a couple of years)

I recently turned 65 and have been retired apart from working three or four seasonal jobs over a period of about 10 years simply to pay for extensive overseas travel which used to be possible and hopefully will be again soon.

As I expected I was informed in one email that due to the number of applicants I wasn’t successful with a PS that I could not ask for feedback due to the number of applicants who applied for the job. (I thought it was a right to ask for feedback.) A couple of days later, at 12.15 a.m. on a Sunday morning actually, I received a second email from the company stating that this second position had been closed and withdrawn due to ‘changes in business requirements’.

This all sounds ‘fishy’ to me and I believe that I have been rejected on the grounds of my age with the second reason simply given so that it doesn’t seem blatant age discrimination. I have performed both job functions during my working life, and I am physically fit and able to perform them still, IMHO I believe that I am now over qualified for both positions and this, plus my age has been a factor in rejecting my application. (But I’d simply like to do something less challenging.)

My question is: On the above information, combined with some more research, would I be able to take action against this company for age discrimination?

Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can take action however I suspect your question is really about your chances of success - this is unlikely.

Without direct evidence, or extremely strong circumstantial evidence I do not like your chances.

Oneman

7 September 2017
Thanks Rod. I didn't think so. Just thought I'd ask. It's incredible how an active mind and body can be made can be made dull and dead before it's time just because of a number. Cheers.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Adjust your resume by omitting a decade or two of experience that is no longer relevant.

Oneman

7 September 2017
Hey Rod. Thanks for that. I know what you mean but I spent most of my working life in the same job, working for the same government department, so if I omitted a decade or two from my work history I'd have nothing to write. Thanks again.