QLD Jail Failed to Bring Brother to Funeral - Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vnt0007

18 September 2016
My older brother passed away 08/01/2017 from suicide. My younger brother is currently in prison awaiting trial and was at the time of our brother's funeral, so my mother and I contacted the jail and made all the appropriate arrangements that the jail required.

We had to pay $1600 for transport and guards so he could attend the funeral. The jail told us it was all arranged and he would be there. On the day, he didn't show up and we were so busy with the funeral we couldn't contact the jail until after the funeral and we were told "Sorry, there must have been a mix up", and my brother spent the day in Southport watch house which was very distressing for him and also my whole family.

We have since got the $1600 back but would there be a case for compensation to either my brother or mother as they are both quite emotionally effected from this still? My younger brother never got a chance to say goodbye to his older brother and can never do so now.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Nope, not a chance.