QLD I've been granted Sole Parental Responsibility of my 14 y.o. - Now I am reverting my name (from married to maiden name)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Milliquita

27 March 2022
Good morning,

I got divorced in 2014 and have been granted sole parental responsibility of my son in 2020 by the Courts. Now, I am changing my name (from married to maiden name). What would be the consequences in terms of granted custody/parental responsibility? Would my ex-husband/father of my son say that the granted parental responsibility wouldn't apply to "Rose Sanchez" who was "Rose Smith", for example? The custody/parental responsibility was granted whilst I was still using my married name.

I hope it makes sense.

Thank you kindly.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Assuming you are in QLD, It seems you may have a problem changing the name anyway

A person with sole parental responsibility under a Family Court order can’t apply to change their child’s name, unless the order explicitly states that the person can change the child’s name to a specific new name.

SOURCE >>> Changing your child's name before they turn 18

Immismum

11 May 2020
If the issue is that you are worried about your name (not applying to change your child’s name) I can’t see that there would be a problem. You have a paper trail, and can prove that you are the same person under both names, so there is no way that the parental responsibility granted to you would be invalid or revoked, just because you were using a different name. Your ex would (I imagine) be laughed out of court if he tried to do anything in contravention to the orders for that reason.

Reactions: Milliquita

Milliquita

27 March 2022
If the issue is that you are worried about your name (not applying to change your child’s name) I can’t see that there would be a problem. You have a paper trail, and can prove that you are the same person under both names, so there is no way that the parental responsibility granted to you would be invalid or revoked, just because you were using a different name. Your ex would (I imagine) be laughed out of court if he tried to do anything in contravention to the orders for that reason.
Yes, that's correct. I was talking about my name. Thank you very much for your reply.