VIC Its developer's problem but I have to pay more for the retainer and fence.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ashwin

1 May 2020
Hi
I really need some advice on this. In my area both houses are new built but my house is built lower then the next door house in which the builder has raised the soil to build the house. The next door builder is saying that my builder has built the house lower it's his problem so you are to pay more for the retainer and fence cost. When we enquire this with our builder they said that the next door house has been raised and built their house it's their problem.
Its the builder problem now I being asked to pay more for the fence and retainer cost which is about 2800 when the total cost is 3010. Please let me know what should I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Contact council to ascertain which property altered ground levels.

Reactions: Ashwin

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
In most cases it won't just be a 'cut' (taking soil away) from one or a 'fill' (adding soil to) to the other. Usually the developer does a 'cut and fill' taking soil from one and placing it on the other the balance it out - saves having to get rid of/find soil. In that case, the cost of retaining should be proportionate and there's a possibility the developer should have done it as part of the development approval to subdivide the properties.

Aside from that - follow @Rod's suggestion.

Reactions: Ashwin

Ashwin

1 May 2020
In most cases it won't just be a 'cut' (taking soil away) from one or a 'fill' (adding soil to) to the other. Usually the developer does a 'cut and fill' taking soil from one and placing it on the other the balance it out - saves having to get rid of/find soil. In that case, the cost of retaining should be proportionate and there's a possibility the developer should have done it as part of the development approval to subdivide the properties.

Aside from that - follow @Rod's suggestion.
Thanks for your advice. I am going to talk to my builder again today.