NSW Issues with Catholic Care - What to Do Under Family Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

KimmyAndo15

24 February 2016
Family and Catholic Care won't help with restoration or communication between parent and child, avoiding important issues and not listening to the children at all, have my children on Metoline tablets downer sleep tablets, forcing kids to do things they don't like or don't want to do.

The kids want to come home and say so all time, now they don't cause it hurts so much. Catholic Care won't work with me. I need help. My Legal Aid lawyer won't even help. Caseworker docs lied.

I have all papers that weren't handed in to judge.

What can I do under Family Law?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I assume you have some kind of court orders that you're bound by?

KimmyAndo15

24 February 2016
Just contact orders bi-monthly visits for 2hrs. At the start was once a week. I had connected with all I have been required to do. I could do a million courses, councilling sessions but it comes down to the acknowledgement of what caused this to happen.

Do I have enough in me to be the mum they need? I lost my 18-year-old stepson in a motorbike accident. Well, it wasn't an accident but it's being treated as one. My partner and I lost 2 boys, 3 and 6.

6 months later now, DOCS just said: "we are taking these kids til we see things are safe for boys to come home." The caseworker has coffee with me in our own home. She feels safe to rock up whenever she does.

My boys are on tablets for psycho patients so he's too lazy to move. They cry about coming home. My 10-year-old tried to kill himself. Also, Family has our 2-year-old and due to personal issues I see him from 3 times a day. Now I see him 2 hours every 8 weeks, supervised.

What can I do? Courts won't do a parenting assessment. They say, "more than qualified; no need".

Thank you.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I understand your inclination to 'do something', but it sounds like this is a very serious situation and unfortunately, I don't believe there is anything you can do except continue to try and improve your situation internally.

If you've had parental responsibility revoked and time with the children restricted, it would be for a reason, whether you agree with that reason or not. You can't simply go to the court and say "I want my kids back" and the court says "okay". All orders from the court must be in what it determines to be the children's best interests, and if it decides it's not in the best interests of the children to be in your care, it is what it is. The court doesn't like making those orders, so it needs a very good reason to do so. There is no higher authority to invoke your will, because realistically, that authority has already made its decision.

This is obviously a very serious situation. My suggestion is to continue liaising with your lawyer and the caters and keep doing what is asked of you.