NSW Is Unpaid Work Legal Under Employment Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aysia

18 August 2016
I recently got a permanent part-time position in security. I have been a security guard for 8 years. I signed all the paperwork and received a letter of offer. I commenced work - three-day training for site specific duties, then on to work, solo.

At the end of the three days of training, I decided I did not want the job and resigned. I left voicemails and sent an email. No one contacted me. One week later, I was expecting to be paid for the 13 hours I had completed. I filled out a time sheet, etc

When I contacted my supervisor to follow up, he told me that it was a trial period and unpaid work. There was no indication or paperwork stating that my training was unpaid. Is this legal under employment law? Do they owe me money? Or did I just lose 13 hours of my life? I know it's not much money. But still.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
What did your training involve? Did it consist of productive work for the employer?

Aysia

18 August 2016
The training was site specific lock up duties and routine patrols. I engaged in normal work duties.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You should be paid for the 13 hours.

Need to be careful of the employment contract conditions. Make sure there are no 'payback' clauses for training if you leave within 'x time'. If there is it may be worth more to them than the 13 hours work you did and you could end up owing them money.

Also consider whether you want future work in the industry. If you do, possibly consider the 13 hours as unpaid training. Word can and does travel so it may not be prudent chasing something of small value when future job prospects are of much greater worth to you.

Aysia

18 August 2016
Thank you.

I've been in the industry 8 years and walked out of that job into a full-time job and a casual job. I also want to be paid on principle not because of the amount.

From here, though, what is the next steps in the process? I contact fair work and they just told me to seek legal advice.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au