VIC Is this Defamation by DOCS and Human Services?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

FedBoy2015

6 May 2015
Hello,
Long story short, can DOCs and DHS (Human Services) make up lies stating that my wife was taking Illegal drugs when they had no proof and the same with me? Is this defamation?

S

Sophea

Technically perhaps, provided they are lies.

For you to accuse them of defamation you would need to prove that:
  1. information was communicated by DOCS to a third person other than you;
  2. the information identifies you; and
  3. the information is defamatory - or in other words it damages your reputation or exposes you to hate, contempt, ridicule or cause people to shun or avoid you or lowers other people's estimation of you.
However, in practice I don't know whether it would be possible to allege defamation. I would be requesting to see the evidence for their allegations so that you have an opportunity to respond to it. Remember to always remain calm and polite when dealing with DOCS.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Did they actually say "was taking", or "was suspected of taking"?

FedBoy2015

6 May 2015
they actually said that my wife was taking Illegal drugs in their report even though she was having weekly blood tests and under 24/7 care where the carers were always with her at all times, it was a big reason why she lost her child and the carers said that she wasn't taking anything Illegal