ACT Is There a Way Company Directors Can Sign Documents Without Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
27 February 2016
So I am going overseas travelling for the next six months, at least, and am currently a director of a company. Is there a way where the other company directors can make decisions which require documents being signed without me where I can keep my directorship and current share (> 10%)?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Do you want them to do things, or to not do things
while you are away?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Does the company constitution require your signature? Or is it just an agreed practice that you sign?

S

Sophea

I agree, refer to your constitution and see if it requires your signature on all documents. If there are specific things that you will be required to sign, check to see whether the constitution allows for you to appoint an attorney or an alternate director to act on your behalf. This is different to a normal power of attorney which only enables someone to sign documents for you in a personal capacity.

Since a director’s appointment is personal their functions as a member of the board can only be discharged by them – not an attorney appointed on their behalf. Accordingly the directors powers and general duties cannot be delegated unless there is a specific power in the company’s rules or constitution to either appoint an attorney or an alternate director during their absence.