WA Is Telstra Right in Charging New Company?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Janee

13 September 2016
Hi

I work for a company that used to be owned by another company. The company that used to own us went into administration earlier this year and is now going through liquidation. The company I now work for purchased the telephone numbers used by the original company and the numbers were transferred to the new company in January 2016.

Our last Telstra bill has suddenly had a charge appear for the 2016 directory listing.

I am arguing with Telstra that they cannot charge the new company the directory listing fee because the agreement was with the original company (which no longer exists).

They have pulled the voice recording for 2009 agreeing to charges and perpetual contract, however, that perpetual contract was with another company.

Can you please help us; who is correct?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You are correct. Telstra try this all the time with directory listings. Not your bill to pay. Recommend that you send a letter/email to them saying 'cease and desist' and that they will be responsible for all your costs in defending yourself against their baseless claim.

Janee

13 September 2016
Thanks Rod. I've sent them an email stating they have no contract with the new company. I'm not sure what my next move will be if they continue to charge us - any suggestions would be welcome.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Send them the cease and desist letter.