WA Is Statutory Declaration Enough for Custody Agreement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DG1992

2 February 2017
Hello,

My ex and I are looking to make a private deal regarding the custody of our two children and have agreed on what we want. I have two questions:

- Is a signed statutory declaration legal enough to show to the Child Support Agency / Centrelink to update their systems and adjust payments?

- Can I write up 2 statutory declarations with all relevant info for us each to sign in front of a legal witness, or does she need to write her own one out? Basically is a stat dec legal if it is written by somone else but signed by the party involved?

I understand a statutory declaration may not be 100% legal or appropriate for this type of issue, but if she signs it and backfilps on the idea later, Incan at least show the courts she was able to agree to it now.

S

Sophea

You should just do up consent orders and have them filed with the court. This will give you enforceable rights. It will also be adequate for child support and centrelink.