NT Is Old Drug Conviction a Spent Conviction?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
S

Sophea

Hi Red75, if it was a state law that you breached and not a federal offence (in which case the commonwealth spent conviction scheme would apply) - then if you were an adult when you were convicted of the offence and you were not convicted in a Youth Justice Court, the conviction will become spent automatically after 10 years from the date of the conviction (or, if you were sentenced to imprisonment, ten years after the period of imprisonment ends).

This is provided there was only a fine an no imprisonment longer than 6 months was imposed for the conviction.

Red75

18 August 2016
Hi,

I got a national police check; it's 17 years old only. I received a fine and it still shows.

I contacted NT Legal Aid and they say they cannot help as I live in Qld. I contacted Qld Legal Aid and they say it's for NT Legal Aid. I contacted NT police and they said NT is not covered by any spent conviction scheme and it will remain forever.

This is the only thing on my police check so I don't understand. My mate's 1990 driving without a licence still showed in 2014 so I guess the police were right.