NSW Is my car, at time of purchase, legally considered new or used?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ralphie

24 June 2019
I purchased my car in March 2014. It was a demo model with 1027kms on it.
It has been registered in the dealership's name prior to transferring into my name as the 1st registered owner.
I paid stamp duty when i purchased this car as well.
Legally, for purposes of warranty etc is my considered a new car at time of purchase?
Thankyou.

Alert

7 June 2019
I believe new car when you purchased from the dealer

Alert

7 June 2019
I purchased my car in March 2014. It was a demo model with 1027kms on it.
It has been registered in the dealership's name prior to transferring into my name as the 1st registered owner.
I paid stamp duty when i purchased this car as well.
Legally, for purposes of warranty etc is my considered a new car at time of purchase?
Thankyou.
Was your car advertised as NEW

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Under NSW law a demo is a second hand vehicle.

With a little over 1000kms, the dealer warranty would be the statutory warrant of around 12 months/20,000kms. The dealer may of course offer more than that.

I'm not sure how this affects the manufacturer's new car warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralphie

Alert

7 June 2019
Under NSW law a demo that has been registered to anyone but the buyer is a second hand vehicle.
Thanks Scruff. Cheers

Ralphie

24 June 2019
Under NSW law a demo is a second hand vehicle.

With a little over 1000kms, the dealer warranty would be the statutory warrant of around 12 months/20,000kms. The dealer may of course offer more than that.

I'm not sure how this affects the manufacturer's new car warranty.

I was given a 3 year warranty which is what their new cars get.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I was given a 3 year warranty which is what their new cars get.
Just curious, but if you know that you got the full 3 year warranty, why the question?

Reactions: Ralphie

Ralphie

24 June 2019
Just curious, but if you know that you got the full 3 year warranty, why the question?
Apologies, i wanted the legal reference that says my demo is still considered a new car at time of purchase. I need to somehow prove this for my case. It relates to my Tribunal hearing against the car manufacturer. They claim that my car is considered used when I purchased it as a demo with 1027kms on it. If it is deemed as used, I can't pursue my claim through the Tribunal bc they have a max claim threshold of $40k. I would need to go to the local court who has a higher claim threshold. The manufacturer is counting on this bc of the financial impact on me. I should have phrased the whole question better. Thanks for helping.