Is it theft or Detinue?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AlexForeshaw

22 November 2019
Hi, I have a situation whereby a contractor was provided a service. I paid for their services but I was then hit up with numerous variations i never agreed to or authorised. Some of the variations were not even performed so I advised the contractor I reject the variations. To cut a long story short I was kicked off the site and wasnt allowed back and the contractor changed the locks and abandoned the works due to the dispute over the variations. Fast forward a month, a termination letter was issued after the 14 days notice was given and the premises had been stripped over quite a few things. There were items given to the contractor to install previously by us as well to install and these were taken as well. Some items give to him at his factory arent being returned. Clearly, items he has supplied and taken will form a civil complaint as he will argue non-payment entitles him to possession of the goods. But does he have rights to items we supplied and paid for? Does he have a right to remove our own items from the premises?