NSW Is it legal to own a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Clara Grey

27 November 2017
I'm a collector of historically controversial books and I cannot find a definite answer on the legality of owning this particular book

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
While the book is officially refused classification meaning it cannot legally be sold, I don't think possession is illegal. But check with the Classification Review Board.

Contact us | Australian Classification

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
In my opinion I would make this one book that you do not add to your collection; don't attempt to obtain it. No matter what your reason may be, given the current climate and the Governments stance toward these sorts of issues, I don't think it's particularly wise to attempt to posses a book that guides you on making explosives and similar subject matter.

As Rod has pointed out the book has been refused classification:
View Title | Australian Classification

I've never looked into this specific book, but in regard to possessing it, it would likely vary state by state, albeit slightly. However given it's status one could assume that you'd have to import it into the country in order to obtain a copy. Importing it would likely give rise to an offence under the relevant Customs Act/Regs etc. Further, if found to be in possession of it, depending on the context and background in which it was discovered, it could cause some big problems for you, given it's subject matter - Think charges, terrorism investigation and being held for an extended period of time without charge etc.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes, one of Howard's political stunts to stay in power. Frighten the populace, enact tough laws and you'll get re-elected. Regulation activity from the modern liberal hidden agenda; watch 3-6 months out from a Federal election for media releases from enforcement agencies saying how the new laws help them prevent terrorist attacks. With new laws we can do even better! Re-elect us and we'll keep you safe. Ably assisted by Murdoch press and Fox.

History has shown that the greatest threat to our way of life is actions taken by those currently in power.

Brings to mind a quote from Benjamin Franklin "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." :(

Last edited: