NSW Is he entitled to her estate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
25 June 2017
My sister who is 74 has owned her own home for years ,she married a man around six years ago and she sold her house and bought another one with the proceeds, the marriage is now failing and she is concerned that he might have a claim on her estate .she has made a will and bequeathed the property to a third party ,allowing her now husband to live there until death as long as he maintains the property and pays the bills.my question is in the event of her death would he have a financial claim on the house

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Peter,
On the information provided it sounds like the husband would have an interest in the property. How much that would be I'm not sure.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So what if they divorce? - if it was a long marriage then 50/50 split would be the starting point.
It is on the border - there are no defined rules about duration... but 6 years isn't all that long.

25 June 2017
and you think that might apply even though he had no financial part of buying the house,the house was purchased solely by her ,I believe he pays for electric and food only