VIC Is Gumtree Buyer Entitled to a Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
15 March 2018
Hi there,

I have had an ad on Gumtree and have been going back and forth with a customer for a few months now.

I agreed with the buyer that I would lower the price by $200, even though the item is worth almost 6x what I am selling it for. The buyer asked for my bank account details to transfer the money. Within a few days, I received $800 Into my account.

We had arranged for the buyer to organise for collection this Friday 16/3, when I have just received an email stating that she has simply “changed her mind” and would like her money back.

I have already transferred this money onto my credit card.

Is the buyer entitled to a refund in this situation?

Thanks

Clancy

6 April 2016
I doubt they are entitled to a refund, but i am not 100% sure?

You could say to the buyer that you will sell the item to someone else on their behalf and then repay the amount??

AllForHer

23 July 2014
No. This is a private sale, so ordinary consumer protection doesn't apply (indeed, consumers aren't entitled to refunds for change of mind anyway).

Clancy

6 April 2016
No. This is a private sale, so ordinary consumer protection doesn't apply (indeed, consumers aren't entitled to refunds for change of mind anyway).

That is true... And then what happens is, because some companies elect to accept such refunds because of customer relations, people start to 'expect' that kind of thing with everyone else.