ACT Is Employment Contract Valid?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

bobtail

18 February 2017
I have been with my current employer for almost three years in not for profit sector as a policy director.

As I am considering resigning I wanted to check the obligations I have in the employment contract and asked the employer for a copy. On receipt of contract, it was unsigned by both parties, had stipulations I didn't agreed to, and the document was "created" in .word several hours after I asked for it (but 10 months after the agreement started).

This employer prefers fixed term contracts as they had problems with an employee several years ago and felt fixed terms were a better way to exit an employee if need be, therefore I have had three year-long contracts.

I recognise I have a 'contract' with my employer but this document surely can't be valid? Where do I look to understand what my end of employment obligations are? ie notice required

Thank you in advance

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What award covers you? Is this a senior position? What did you agree to when you started? The latest contract will not be valid if you didn't agree to it. The valid contract is the one when you started.

Likely to be a max of 5 weeks, may be shorter. Why not discuss with your employer to arrange a mutually agreeable period?

bobtail

18 February 2017
What award covers you? Is this a senior position? What did you agree to when you started? The latest contract will not be valid if you didn't agree to it. The valid contract is the one when you started.

Likely to be a max of 5 weeks, may be shorter. Why not discuss with your employer to arrange a mutually agreeable period?

Thank you for responding

Yes, I had an initial conversation this week and it was suggested that I should give 6-8 weeks notice to allow recruitment of a replacement. I was interested to know what my rights were before I had the next conversation.