VIC Is De Facto's Money Safe if He Moves it Offshore?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
6 December 2016
Hi everyone,

My partner is a tad paranoid that I will steal his savings (which is a considerable amount) if we break up. We have been in a de facto relationship for almost 2 years now, and is registered in both NSW & VIC.

He is from overseas, and did not understand that de facto Law in Australia is basically the same as Marriage Law (which he does now). I pointed out to him that if we break up, I may have a legal entitlement to his assets (i.e. his savings) to which he's not happy about. Hence, he thinks that by moving it to his overseas bank account (as he has recently immigrated to Australia, with me being his sponsor), that this will keep him safe from my "evil money-hungry clutches" (haha)

Is he correct?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Pretty sure that all assets are taken into account and included in the "asset pool" for distribution if you get the court to determine your settlement. You just need to know where they are so you can alert the court to them if the time comes for that.