VIC Is Barrister Necessary at First Mention for Property Settlement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
My solicitor would like to brief a barrister for the First Mention coming up for a propety settlement. I do not have the proposed funds required. I've written to tell solicitor this and have asked can we proceed without a barrister. Yet to hear back. I was of the impression that a barrister would be more than useful at the final hearing.

Appreciate any help as to the necessity of briefing a barrister at this stage. I understand the expertise of a barrister.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Good, I was going to say that you won't even need your lawyer at first mention. It'll last two minutes and then you'll likely be sent away to attend a conciliation conference or similar.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Good, I was going to say that you won't even need your lawyer at first mention. It'll last two minutes and then you'll likely be sent away to attend a conciliation conference or similar.

Thank you. He said that we might not even end up before the judge! My ex is extremely abusive and in denial about me being entitled to any kind of property settlement so I'm hoping he won't turn up and the judge will grant my requests. They are going to arrange a safe room for me.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Property settlements move slowly. While you might see a judge at the interim hearings, you may not end up at trial before a judge because you may settle by consent (95% of cases do, even the most abusive ones). It usually just takes a solid dose of legal advice for a difficult party to realise that their position may not be backed up by the law, which is what motivates them to settle in mediation rather than by trial.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I appreciate your insight. I really have no idea what to expect. That is a relief to read that they'll usually settle. From what our 22-year-old son has said, my ex hasn't sought any legal advice. I'm worried about what will happen if he just ignores everything.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, he's in for a shock, then. :)

Reactions: SamanthaJay

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Thanks AllForHer. Just receiving a letter from my solicitor was a shock but he really believes I have no entitlement.