NSW Is a Binding Financial Agreement Recommended?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sommai

22 October 2016
Married a Thai lady just about to come to Australia to live. I have property - a unit in which I live in and another investment one which is half paid for. I wish to protect my assets, offering half of any increase in value while we are together.

Now is a binding financial agreement recommended for this or should I know of another way to protect assets? Are binding financial agreements worth the paper they are written on?

Alan Blumberg

Lawyer
22 October 2016
New South Wales
They certainly are worth it, but it has to be a reasonable agreement to be safe.

Your partner will need to get independent legal advice - as will you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Married a Thai lady just about to come to Australia to live. I have property - a unit in which I live in and another investment one which is half paid for. I wish to protect my assets, offering half of any increase in value while we are together.

Now is a binding financial agreement recommended for this or should I know of another way to protect assets? Are binding financial agreements worth the paper they are written on?
Yes, a BFA is always a good idea.

There are many folks on the internet who offer to prepare Binding Financial Agreements.
They are not all lawyers.
I suggest most strongly that this work best done by a lawyer who works in the area of Family Law,
as unromantic and distasteful as that may feel.

Oh, and on a related topic...
Just to be clear (since this is often the back-story in fact-sets like this),
getting married to an Australian citizen (or to a P/R)
does not in itself create any right for the foreigner to stay in Australia.