Invalid infringement number

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Monti, 27 November 2018.

1. Monti

Monti Member

Recieved a notice for late payment of parking infringement. Both online and by phone I get an error for invalid infringement number.
    What are my rights here?
    If the number is invalid can I argue there is no infringement?

2. Scruff

Scruff Well-Known Member

Some questions:
    1. What state are you in? (you should always select your state when posting a question - it's nearly always relevant)
    2. How did you receive the notice (mail, email, SMS etc)?
    3. What website did you use to check the infringment number?
    4. What phone number did you call to check the infringment number?

There are a lot of scams going around regarding fake infringment notices. It's happening in all states and at the Federal level as well. Some try to get you to pay money while others are just viruses (usually trojans).

If the infringement number doesn't check out, then it's possibly one of these scams.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Adam1user

Adam1user Well-Known Member

As Scruff stated, it could be a scam, but don't just rely on that, contact the authority by phone and talk to customer service, they will be able to clear that for you once and for all. If it is not a scam, you don't want it keep coming back to you with delay penalties.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Monti

Monti Member

Thanks Adam.
    I did indeed contact customer service. Turns out it had been passed on to fines as it was overdue so I payed it immediately before it got worse than it already had.
    Glad I did too as there was another outstanding one from a year and a half ago that was about to get handed over to The sheriff so both are now cleared up.