WA Interstate Fine in Hire Car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LeanneS

5 January 2019
I reside in WA. I have just received notification that I have a fine from Vic Roads on the way from a recent holiday. I am currently sitting on 11 of the allowable 12 demerit points. Unfortunately I was driving a friends car 18 months ago who’s speedo was out by over 10km/hr and the rest was history.
I am pretty sure that the incident was when I simply did not see a slow down to 40km sign and was travelling at about 50 - 55km/hr. I thought that I saw a flash. Further along I saw a 40km/hr sign for the area.
The greatest concern is that I rely on my licence for work. I am beside myself and i have purposely been so careful on the roads. I have not even remotely come close to being in a situation like this before.
Does anyone have any suggestions AT ALL on what to do? The amount of the fine is not the issue - the points are.

LeanneS

5 January 2019
And does anyone know of or had experience with Victorian demerit points actually appearing on a WA licence?

What happens if I don’t sign the fine transfer notice from the hire car company? Am I automatically liable by default anyway?

I so hope that this fine was at a different time when someone else was driving (doesn’t that sound awful?). Time will tell I guess.