WA Attacker Pressed Charges for Assault - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jake011

30 September 2016
Hi,

I went into a fight with someone few days ago for the most stupid thing ever. Anyway, we had an argument until the other guy busted with anger and started pushing me and there was a tussle, during which I've punched the guy on his face a few time. (It was quick). A friend managed to get in between and everything stopped.

The guy called the police and has pressed charges against me for assault when what I only did was self-defense. He has some bruises on this face. When the cops came, I told them my version of what has happened. I'm supposed to go back to my home country soon which I also didn't miss to tell them.

Now here's the thing, the guy is saying I've tried to kill him and etc. He's lying. I'm waiting for the cops to call me so that I can go to the police station and give my statement. It's very stressful because I have to go home very soon.

I will defend for my rights and for what is true, but I'm anxious. Will this situation cause me problems to leave? There's no witness, only both parties' word and one with bruises on the face who is the attacker pretending to be the victim.

I need some help please.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Get yourself to the Legal Service associated with your education provider immediately.
Oh, and yes, you can be kept in Australia until this is all sorted out.