QLD How to Calculate International Child Support?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ConfusedAmI

30 December 2015
Australia
Hi,

Can someone help please?

Child support between Australia and France. I live in Australia and my ex-wife with my 2 children live in France. How do we work out child support? It is so complex.

She is asking for 30% of my $40000Aus wage. That’s $12000. That is high for me.

My kids are 13 and 10 years old. We had an agreement for child support in place drawn up by ourselves and agreed to. She has decided she wants a lot more money. She will not go through the proper authorities and wants to keep it between us.

The fact is I earn Australian dollars and they live on the Euro. My 40000 converts to about 25000 Euro. It sounds a lot to her. The cost of living for me in Australia is different to France. 40000 doesn’t go far. It’s all proportional to where we live.

I am lucky to see my kids in person every 12 to 18 months because it costs a fortune to travel.

Is there a magical calculator I can use to work this out? It makes it hard to figure out being in different countries.

Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
Magical calculator... kinda. Do you know what she earns a year? If you do convert that to $au, then call child support agency. Tell them you have 5% care. Tell them your income and the ex's income. They will be able to tell you what amount you would have to pay according to Australian law.

It will be lots less than 40% of your income...

It will be a fair amount based in Australian law.... let us know how you go