intentional retaliation at a funeral

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LH2022

25 February 2022
Hello

In my sister's funeral, my estranged sister in law intentionally broke many of the funeral's etiquette to get back at me , my other siblings and the deceased.

She intentionally brought two cheap red wreaths and valentines red roses and put them in the church and next to the casquet and also asked the funeral director to distribute them to the family and friends to be thrown on the casquet as it is lowered in the ground. This was against the will of my other sister who is the legal executor of the will and the appointed organizer of the funeral.
She also intentionally prayed the rosary with her friends which is against the belief of the deceased and without the permission of the pastor and the family.
She stood the first in line to receive condolences against the will of my family as it should be siblings first and then spouses and children
She distributed sweet at the mercy meal without the permission of the family
We all felt that she purposefully wanted to get back at us in our sister's funeral and showed disrespect to the deceased. Her behaviour was provocative and hurtful and caused me and my siblings anxiety and mental distress and feud between us all and my parents.
Do I have a legal case ? I can prove her intrusive behaviour through the funeral director and witnesses at the church

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Do I have a legal case ? I can prove her intrusive behaviour through the funeral director and witnesses at the church
Going only by what you have said here,
missing facts missing, and with all the unstated ifs, but, maybes, unlesses, and exceptions not allowed for,
I don't see one.

EduardBakers

13 June 2023
I came across your post, and I know how you feel. Sometimes, people at funerals don't know how to act. My aunt also has some of her own weird beliefs. Once at my Dad's funeral, she said that it was too sad that God won't hear our prayers because we were doing things wrong. I didn't want to make a scene out of it, but I had enough to cut her off my life.

RoseBlack

27 June 2023
I'm really sorry to hear about the distressing situation you went through at your sister's funeral. It's unfortunate when personal conflicts overshadow the opportunity to say goodbye and honor the deceased.

RoseBlack

27 June 2023
I'm really sorry to hear about the distressing situation you went through at your sister's funeral. It's unfortunate when personal conflicts overshadow the opportunity to say goodbye and honor the deceased.
Regarding your legal options, I'm not an expert, but it could be worth consulting with a lawyer to explore whether there are grounds for a case based on the intrusive and disrespectful behavior of your estranged sister-in-law. I've been reflecting on funerals myself since my aunt's passing, and I've come across some unique flat grave marker designs that caught my attention. They offer a more contemporary and minimalist aesthetic. It's interesting to see how different designs can reflect the individuality of our loved ones, even in their resting place.

Liroychicik

17 October 2022
Dealing with retaliation at a funeral is just so unfortunate – it's supposed to be a time of remembrance and respect.

LostEcho

3 April 2023
Consulting with a lawyer might be a good step to consider. On a lighter note, I totally get what you mean about unique grave marker designs. It's interesting how even in these details, we can capture the essence of our loved ones. By the way, have you heard about the Riley Gardner Memorial? It's heartwarming to see the various ways people remember and honor those who've passed. Wishing you the best in handling the situation.