NSW Intellectual Property Law - Publishing Work Online - Interpreting Terms and Conditions?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JD20

23 October 2015
Hey guys/gals/others,

I was looking to publish my writing work online for free and for other to read (for free as well), and I'm highly concerned about my intellectual property (which is my writing, of course) due to their high sentimental value to me.

In turn I'm pretty much tacked down by the paranoia of a site's terms and conditions. At the bottom I've listed the crucial points and such along with the link to the site. My interpretation is that if I publish my work, the site can pretty much do what they like with my work (e.g create derivative works as stated, have is printed without royalty or consent and such).

I was wondering if my interpretation was correct or if it was different.

Looking forward to some answers relating to Intellectual Property Law.

Links and stuff:
Booksie
(Under the heading
"Booksie's & BooksieSilk's USE OF CONTENT SUBMITTED BY WRITERS & RIGHTS OF WRITERS"
the points A, B, and C, and the subsection immediately following)

Thanks for taking the time to read.

S

Sophea

Yes this is correct. I would not upload your works to this site if you want to retain full rights to it. Why don't you establish your own blog where you can publish your works? Or find a publisher who will publish your work.

Reactions: JD20

JD20

23 October 2015
Yes this is correct. I would not upload your works to this site if you want to retain full rights to it. Why don't you establish your own blog where you can publish your works? Or find a publisher who will publish your work.

First of all, thank you for the reply.

As for the two you've suggested, the second one isn't a choice, at least not one for most publishers as I'm looking to publish it for free, and in my knowledge publishers would only put stuff out there if it's going to sell (and that makes a contrast). As for the first choice, which is for the blog, that was my second option. From the looks of it the solution is to just self-publish my work on my own blogs and such. Haha!

Again, thanks very much for the reply! Have a like!