QLD Insurer Overpaid Me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Erin11111

31 March 2022
Recently claimed on my contents insurance for the first time after owning the policy for many years. They originally tried to get out of the claim but after me telling them I would go to the ombudsman they agreed to pay me. When they called me to tell me what I would receive I was quite shocked as it was more than I expected but the lady on the phone told me I was entitled to 20 percent of my contents insurance in this matter. They paid me a few days later. It's been a few weeks now and I got a call from them saying they want most of the money back as they made a mistake. My question is, am I legally supposed to pay this money back or can I argue that I was honest and open about my circumstances and this is their error and thus, not my problem. Thankfully I haven't spent the money but imagine if I had!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
One thing I have learned from litigating insurance claims is that "Money is merciless".
The path of least pain may be to just give it back to them and make it all be over.