VIC Insurance Law - Unregistered Vehicle Stored in Garage Covered by Contents Policy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Docktor

2 December 2015
Is an unregistered motor vehicle or a motorbike covered under contents policy if stored in a shed that burns down?

I am aware there are some companies that offer insurance specifically for this type of coverage but if I don't have to, why should I under Insurance Law?

Cheers

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Would think it depends on your policy. If in doubt call your insurance company. Some policies will likely cover the property but only up to a certain value and some only if the items are individually listed in the policy. Note that it may cost more to include them.

Docktor

2 December 2015
Thanks Rob. I have read their pdf on the policy. It says they cover shed and contents. It says something about a maximum of 15k for a single item but nothing about separate insurance for cars or motorbikes. the car in question is undergoing restoration and as such is not registered so not insured comprehensively or otherwise.