WA Initiating application

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jahree

2 October 2018
I’ve done some research but am not 100% sure on the answers I’ve found.

Is there certain rules and procedures you have to follow by law when serving someone papers or court documents ?
For example: could I go and file a form-1 initiating application get the forms and go and personally serve them to the person I am filing against ?(me being the applicant and the other person being the respondant)
And if the document served comes under the term (special service) is it legal to do so or no

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What kind of matter are you initiating?

Divorce/property/parenting?

There is an exception for divorce but you need cooperation of the other party.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No, you can't serve the documents.

You can have a friend serve the documents but you must make sure they follow the correct process and fill in the necessary paperwork. Get it wrong and your case stalls and you can be asked for costs. Easier to get a process server.

Migz

20 November 2016
Ring up the local debt collection agency in your town as they normally provide this server service...it can cost upto $200 to have the documents served but they do all the serving paperwork that you can then show the court that you did do it properly should it ever be asked of you....say in the trail (years away)