VIC Inheritance hijacking

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joanne Mansell

18 December 2018
Father died Jan 2008. Sister started taking over mothers life, making mother feel insecure about any major decisons she had on the cards.
Mother was diagnosed in April 2008 with cerecbral atrophy, ventricular dilation and severe T2 white matter changes. Sister rushed mum off to make a new will whereby My sister was to get the Portsea property and I was to get the apartment my mother is in now. I live in Sydney, I was not aware of what was going on. 2013 comes around I am still not informed of anything. My sister emptied the lions share out of the family trust (Portsea house) and put the property into my mothers name. More wills were made even when it was evident that my mother had terrible dementia and lack of capacity wills would be signed at night when my poor alchoholic mother was drunk.
I am not financial. What are the ramifications of someone coercing someone to change wills and literally work it so that my poor mother (who may well live another 5 years) will have no money to survive on? Mum currently with all the carers has costs of 300,000 plus a year. I was her carer who was abused by sister for 2 1/2 years. My sister blocked me from mother being assessed properly as she still needed to move property in to her name which she has done against the advice of VCAT.

You need to contact VCAT and make an application to remove the authority from your sister making those decisions on behalf of your mother. Given that you live in Sydney it may be difficult for a grant of administration to be made in your favour. It may be preferable that VCAT takes over as the administrator and possibly even guardianship, depending on what decisions your sister is making in that regard.