Information about ex partners illegal activities, but we are in family court

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

single mother

5 August 2018
Hi all,

My situation is this, my ex partner has been violent and abusive on several occasion while I was pregnant and when my daughter was only a few months old. We are now in family court and I am seeking no contact orders. However, I have evidence (emails and documents) that show that my ex partner has breached his contract with work. While receiving a full time salary from his employer he has also worked for a competing start up company for almost one year. He has been providing the start up with information and has worked pretty much full time, even going away on business trips. The employer with who he has breached his contract is a very genuine man who has gone to considerable lengths to help my ex. My question is: I am considering what to do with this information, can I provide it to my ex's existing employer (my ex would know it came from me)? And what would the implications be for my existing case?
Many thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
What would be the impications for your family court case? Nothing good. It will contribute towards your ex being able to make the case that you're a nasty vindicitive ex that will do anything to hurt him and your credibility will be trashed... Sorry, but what does his employment have to do with his right to see his kid?

So, you're not gonna like much of what I have to say... Oh well... But you asked... The law works on 1 assumption. It is the in the best interest of the child to have a meaningful relationship with both parents... So if dad was a drug dealing, murder with a few convictions for child abuse THEN you'd have a good case for a no contact order...

U'm no contact order? So you want him to have nothing to do with his own kid??? So the additional income he is earning from doing two jobs means he is gonna pay more child support. Do you still want to dob him in?

single mother

5 August 2018
What would be the impications for your family court case? Nothing good. It will contribute towards your ex being able to make the case that you're a nasty vindicitive ex that will do anything to hurt him and your credibility will be trashed... Sorry, but what does his employment have to do with his right to see his kid?

So, you're not gonna like much of what I have to say... Oh well... But you asked... The law works on 1 assumption. It is the in the best interest of the child to have a meaningful relationship with both parents... So if dad was a drug dealing, murder with a few convictions for child abuse THEN you'd have a good case for a no contact order...

U'm no contact order? So you want him to have nothing to do with his own kid??? So the additional income he is earning from doing two jobs means he is gonna pay more child support. Do you still want to dob him in?

Hi Sammy
As you probably know, no contact orders are not something you seek without giving it thorough consideration. This man has another child from a previous relationship. She has left home now, but while she was in his care, he would physically abuse her: suffocate her and lock her in her room sometimes for days in a row, denying her food and giving her a bucket to go to the toilet. He has been violent with with 3 partners that I have been in touch with, and he pushed me down stairs while i was pregnant. So yes, I am only human, and i am thinking about every avenue to protect my son.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok, but did he go to jail for any of it? See we work on this thing called innocent until proven guilty.

If you go into court you need to be able to prove that he is a danger to his kid... And that means Doc's reports, criminal convictions etc etc.

Just checking... Has he applied to court for access OR have you applied to court for a no contact order?

single mother

5 August 2018
ok, but did he go to jail for any of it? See we work on this thing called innocent until proven guilty.

If you go into court you need to be able to prove that he is a danger to his kid... And that means Doc's reports, criminal convictions etc etc.

Just checking... Has he applied to court for access OR have you applied to court for a no contact order?

His daughter applied for a DVO, he has spent time in prison for assault with a weapon. And his daughter reported him to the police for assault after she left home, but he was never charged. He has applied for access, I have in turn applied for no contact.

single mother

5 August 2018
Also, in my own relationship with the father the police made one DV referral and the police applied for one DVO, and I have a doctor's report.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The more he earns the more in child support your child receives.

The employment matter is unlikely to have any effect on the parenting orders you are seeking.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok so if there is a history of abuse that can be established use that.... His employment? leave it alone or you are likely to come across as vindictive and acting out of spite rather than the best interest of the kid