WA Independent teenager, what am I liable to pay

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Simon Abrams

28 February 2020
Hi,

I have a question about a situation that we are currently experiencing:

Our teenage son (17) has decided to move out of home and become independent, he has applied for this with Centrelink and have received his Centrelink Certificate of Independence.

He works part time, still attends school and receives the Centrelink Youth allowance for independent children, he lives with his uncle and aunt. We have paid all his schools fees.

The problem we have is that he is sending us huge bills ($4000+) each month including $2000 computers (we gave him $400 for a computer that met the school recommendation), $800 clothing (not needed as he took all his with him but decided they were no longer good enough and bought everything new), cost for a party, driving lessons, limo hire, etc.

We want to help him where we can but we cannot afford $4000 per month, he however is demanding we pay him (without even giving us receipts) or he will report us to the Department of Child Protection.

I just need to know what we are legally liable to pay for him if he receives the youth allowance and has a Centrelink Certificate of Independence. We want to know if we can say no when he demands money, we have always helped if he askes politely and discusses the expense with us beforehand.

Don’t get me wrong we want to help our son and will do whatever we can for him we just cannot afford his current life style.

Thanks Simon

sammy01

27 September 2015
centerlink can hit you up for money. It won't be $4k a month.... He can demand money. I can demand money... I demand you put$1000 in my bank account... But you're not gonna do it are you?

Short version is, wait for a govt agency to tell you that you have to pay and then pay.... But until that happens you're kid needs to learn a few harsh realities. If he wants to be 'independent' then that means the bank of mummy and daddy is closed for business.

Reactions: Simon Abrams

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Okay, I don't know much (i.e. next to nothing) about the Centrelink Certificate of Independence, but I found this: Dependent or independent for Youth Allowance - Services Australia

The site lists the factors for independence if the person is younger than 22. I've added my comments:

- Can show you support yourself through work: If he's sending you monetary demands for money, he's obviously not supporting himself.

- Are or have been married/in a registered relationship: this isn't known.

- Live in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months: also not known.

- Have or have had a dependent child: also not known.

- Are a job seeker assessed as unable to work over 30 hours a week: he has work, but unknown about capacity.

- Are unable to live at home due to extreme circumstances: unknown, but possibly an inability to obtain $4,000 per month in living expenses could be considered 'extreme circumstances' (/sarcasm).

- Have parents who can't look after you: again, with the $4,000 per month.

- Are a refugee and your parents don't live in Australia: doesn't appear to be the case.

- Are an orphan and haven't been legally adopted: clearly not the case.

- Are in state care, including foster care: again, clearly not the case.

While not knowing all the relevant facts, I'd wager he's either:

(a) Told Centrelink he can support himself through work; or
(b) That you can't look after him.

Either way, it doesn't support a situation where he can demand exorbitant amounts of money off you.

Reactions: Simon Abrams

rjm

2 February 2020
Hi Simon. You obviously love him lots, that's why he hasn't a clue about the cold, hard facts of life as an independent operator.
Ask him for receipts for the cash you're handing over. Play the game for a month. Don't hand it over with a smile though, continue to explain how unreasonable it is to expect you to fund his extravagant lifestyle. Point out that if if he chose to live in your house, which of course involves accepting your rules, you wouldn't need to pay him anything. It's his choice not to do that. Having made his choice he is now responsible for looking after himself.
After a month or so refuse to hand over anymore cash, unless it's for something that you think you should help him with.
Wait for the call from the authorities. I doubt that it will come. If it does - show the receipts. He'd then have to pay back his youth allowance. If he's getting that sort of money from you he's not eligible for it. If he's remorseful & understands how selfish & entitled his behaviour was, you might pay his Centre link debt for him. If not, let him learn the hard way.