NSW Incorrect Towing of Car Caused Damage - Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Harry James

20 November 2016
Hey, I'm kind of stuck on where to look for answers here.

My friend's car was parked on the opposite side of the street to work, which they were upgrading the footpath. The next day, she returned from work to find that her car had been moved to the opposite side as they had begun work on upgrading the other footpath.

She drove her car the next day to find that the steering was completely off and each wheel was completely out of alignment, rending the vehicle undriveable.

The incorrect towing of the vehicle has caused this but we have no way of proving that they towed the car. Do have any chance here under Traffic Law?

Cheers

S

Sophea

Assuming it was the council that towed it, they would be liable for any damage that they have caused to your vehicle and depending on the terms of their contract with the tow truck company, they may be able to recover that loss from them.

In any event, it's a little tricky that you were not provided with any information at all as to what happened to your car. I assume council are allowed to do that? I would contact your local council and prod them for information about what happened.

Council should any event be insured so I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to make a claim for the damage if you can establish that they were the ones who moved it.