NSW Incorrect Details on Criminal Record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nikki polo

16 November 2017
I have my criminal record, which has offences from 10yrs ago with dates that are incorrect and it has my name on it but then it also says I have an alias name and their date of birth. The "alias name" I won't mention, but I have never ever ever used an alias name or have ever heard of this name.

I'm not sure if this is an error or something else...It's really confusing. Even the date of the incident is totally incorrect, like 3 years wrong.

What I did as an immature young man in my teens is regrettable and have learnt my lesson. But the incorrect info and alias name on my almost 20yr old record has got me concerned... Should I be?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, you should be.
Take yourself to a lawyer and see about having it sorted out.
Understand that this is not something you can DIY over the counter at your local police station.

Nikki polo

16 November 2017
Yes, you should be.
Take yourself to a lawyer and see about having it sorted out.
Understand that this is not something you can DIY over the counter at your local police station.
Thank you Tim.

I was charged in 2000. They have all the sudden hassling me for a DNA test which I DO not know why cos it doesn't fit the charges. Saying they need to take my DNA because they didn't do it at that time. I was concerned by this and asked to speak to a lawyer first and see what the suggest.

The lawyer did advise not to, to make sure they have a court order to get my DNA.. Since it wasn't related to my charge or anything else. So I declined the test and they have since tried to get me to volunteer it, the plain clothed officer came to my address saying he had a court but couldn't produce it because it was back at local police station, which I asked unless there's a court order I'm not providing it.

He then arrived the next day with papers telling me its the order for me to do DNA test. When I asked to see it he looks at the form and says "actually this order is expired"..this is very strange to me.

I do have respect for the law and not suggesting anything else just not sure why they trying hard to get DNA even present a order that I wasn't aware of and it turned out it was expired. I will go see a lawyer, because lucky I read your comment, I was just about to go to local police station and complain about all the errors on this report and the suggested alias I'm suppose to have as well.