NSW income protection claim

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Simon123!

8 April 2020
Hi, I am trying to assist a party to progress an income protection claim where by the insurer stopped paying in 2010. The policy is one that continues to pay until 65 or the individual goes back to work... one of the old policies. Yes, i know this should have been addressed before, however the individual has had a number of major medical and mental health issues. At this stage I don't know if the insurer has messed up, or if they have simply taken advantage of a situation and just not acted. I think from the info I have gathered is that it is a mix of both. I have helped the individual to lodge a complaint with the relevant authority and they are now involved, the insurer though is stalling/ slowing the claim down again. They have offered a 2k compensation payment to the party for the delay, they have to sign a deed poll though to receive this compensation. Would I be right in assuming that signing of the deed poll means that there could not be a claim for interest once the claim is paid? The figures here are very large - the back payments come to over 500k so an interest claim would be substantial.