ACT In What Ways Can Woolworths Charge Me Legally?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Amber McKinnon

20 January 2017
Hi there,

I'm founding an independent media company and have a storylead, which may or may not be suitable for publication. A Woolworths employee advised me last week that his DHS-employed son was going to get unmarried mother's on welfare rorting tax payers.

Woolworths haven't responded to my requests to resolve the situation, so I took a photo of an old mate in the workplace for online publication with story details.

In what ways could Woolworths and/or Max come down on me legally?

Cheers

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What is the link between rorts and Woolworths?

If the only real link is someone's father is employed at Woolworths you run the risk of injurious falsehood. It may be difficult for Woolworths to win a case but do want to run the risk?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Nothing to do with your source's employer.
Do better.

Let me add one other thing.
Having an online publishing presence doesn't make you an "independent media operator"
any more than owning a set of spanners makes you a mechanic.

Amber McKinnon

20 January 2017
Nothing to do with your source's employer.
Do better.

Let me add one other thing.
Having an online publishing presence doesn't make you an "independent media operator"
any more than owning a set of spanners makes you a mechanic.
That would be the registration of said business as 21-year change management and communication consultant with various degrees and experience in the employ of Rural Press for years.

Amber McKinnon

20 January 2017
What is the link between rorts and Woolworths?

If the only real link is someone's father is employed at Woolworths you run the risk of injurious falsehood. It may be difficult for Woolworths to win a case but do want to run the risk?

Thanks Rod for civility: no rort/woolies connection. I've posted image of Woolworths employee who maligned. So its publication of his image (no caption or name) and referencing his being a 'dickhead' once in passing. Article focus on failed business practices with evidence as to experiences. Hope that makes more sense to you.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Article focus on failed business practices with evidence as to experiences.

This now begs the question of whose business practices.

As long as there is no link, either explicit or implied, between the Woolworths and the rort then Woolworths probably don't have a cause of action. Good practice though would be to blur any Woolworths logos to be safer.

Accusing someone of rorting will be defamation if it is not true, you need to trust our source and maybe have good insurance cover :)

re: Dunning Kruger - many people misuse the findings of this effect. Highly competent people regularly underestimate their own abilities and the internet meme is therefore not strictly speaking accurate.

Tim's throwaway comment might have more to do with your comment about being a start up and your pic where you (assuming it is you) can be perceived as looking in your mid-twenties.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Thanks Rod for civility: no rort/woolies connection. I've posted image of Woolworths employee who maligned. So its publication of his image (no caption or name) and referencing his being a 'dickhead' once in passing. Article focus on failed business practices with evidence as to experiences. Hope that makes more sense to you.
Having spent a little time reading some of your online... output,
I find a certain inconsistency between your claims of being professional and experienced,
and the style and quality of your self published content
(calling people "d********" seems to be one of your favourite perjoratives).

In spite of your claims of experience, I have had no success finding anything with your by-line.
I find that... unexpected.

I encourage you to read this forum - from front to back.
You'll find that many contributors here (not all of whom are lawyers)
display exemplary degrees of skill, fluency, logic, and rationality.
As a writer, you can learn much from them.

You can call me whatever names you like. I have a thick skin, a sense of humour,
and a fair bit of experience dealing with... "characters".
I do a mean Oxford comma, and my spelling's pretty good too... and you may be sure
that I keep the pallid metaphors to a minimum.

In then end, for all your... energy... all I really ask of you is
that you do my readers the courtesy of spelling those obscenities you direct at me
correctly.

Amber McKinnon

20 January 2017
This now begs the question of whose business practices.

As long as there is no link, either explicit or implied, between the Woolworths and the rort then Woolworths probably don't have a cause of action. Good practice though would be to blur any Woolworths logos to be safer.

Accusing someone of rorting will be defamation if it is not true, you need to trust our source and maybe have good insurance cover :)

re: Dunning Kruger - many people misuse the findings of this effect. Highly competent people regularly underestimate their own abilities and the internet meme is therefore not strictly speaking accurate.
Tim's throwaway comment might have more to do with your comment about being a start up and your pic where you (assuming it is you) can be perceived as looking in your mid-twenties.

Rod: there's nothing throw away about a low entity type asserting a journo should 'do better', esp when that journos name and image are published on website as per LinkedIn ;) it's called research. Further, your assertion that old matie as poorly judged dust cover then thank you for lending weight to my assertion that Dim, is at wrong end of spectrum. That was all I cared to address once you went off topic too. Tisk.