VIC Immigration Law - How to Employ Brother in Malaysia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Iowna Kessler

27 December 2016
Hi,

I have a small business. I want to employ my brother to work for me, because I am trying to expand my business. He is from Malaysia. How do I go about that under Immigration Law?

Thanks

S

Sophea

Is he doing the work in Malaysia or do you need him to come to Australia?

Ann Zhou

Lawyer & Registered Migration Agent
27 January 2017
Sydney
lawtap.com

Iowna Kessler

27 December 2016
The immigration law does not restrict you to sponsor your brother as long as you brother fit the bill (meet the visa requirement). There is two steps that you need to go through: first your sponsorship approval, secondly your brother fit the bill.

J ZHOU
Solicitor and Migration Agent 0214048

I called the immigration and they told me I have to prove that I can't get anyone to work for me first. Is that true, and my brother might be too old?

S

Sophea

Yes depending on what type of visa he will try to get, for a skilled position you have to show that it couldn't be filled by an Australian before you can import someone to do the job.

Iowna Kessler

27 December 2016
Yes depending on what type of visa he will try to get, for a skilled position you have to show that it couldn't be filled by an Australian before you can import someone to do the job.
Ok, thanks. I wanted to give him part of my business. I can't manage it on my own.

S

Sophea

Maybe a different type of visa if he was to become an owner in the business. Not sure though.