I’m terrified after being caught shoplifting

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James_614614

15 February 2018
ok, so here’s the rundown. 2 weeks before my wedding I was accused of theft as a clerk and fraud. I am currently in a legal battle about it and am so infuriated because it’s not at all true.
Tonight, I was caught stealing clothes from a few different stores. I don’t know why I did it, I have no excuse and I can say that I am not denying this. I’ve never stolen and don’t know why on earth I tried it. Never again.

I’m now terrified that what I have done will effect my other case. I think I may have stolen a few hundred dollars worth. But I’m not sure exactly.
This will be my first shoplifting charge ever and I’m terrified of what might happen.
Can I just use a duty lawyer on the day of my hearing to say guilty and what do you think the outcomes will be.

Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What state are you in?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Get yourself to a GP, who will in turn
refer you to a psychiatrist.
Do this before the police come for you.

Do not approach the police yourself under any circumstances.
Do not approach the place you stole from under any circumstances.

If you have a lawyer for your existing dispute,
then take their advice, rather than come here.
If you don't have one, then get one immediately.

I say this with all due courtesy and respect - get help.
You do not seem like somebody who can handle this thing yourself.

Jadesmith

16 April 2021
Get yourself to a GP, who will in turn
refer you to a psychiatrist.
Do this before the police come for you.

Do not approach the police yourself under any circumstances.
Do not approach the place you stole from under any circumstances.

If you have a lawyer for your existing dispute,
then take their advice, rather than come here.
If you don't have one, then get one immediately.

I say this with all due courtesy and respect - get help.
You do not seem like somebody who can handle this thing yourself.
Hi, I posted a question under the tag “shoplift” and I’m gettin really worried and impatient, so could you help me with mine ?

I was stupid and had really bad friends, they influenced me to shoplift, after seeing them with goods I got the idea of shoplifting. At first I stole a tshirt at supre for $20 and was able to get away with it. I felt very guilty but After a few days later I went to a different shopping mall ( do notice that I live in a small town so my mum has to drive up about 1 hour to go to big shopping malls) and stole something from ally fashion for $8, same thing happened didn’t get caught, but I got really greedy and stole a necklace for $20 at sport girls, I hid it under a jumper “pretending to try it on” and went to the changing room. I wasn’t in the state of mind since I was dealing with so much but I ripped off the tag and left it on the floor. And put the necklace in my pocket, after that the lady went in to make sure everything was clean but she find the tag and talked to her co worker about it, after seeing that I panicked and couldn’t think straight. One of the girl went out to get a security guard I believe after eves dropping on them. That’s when I told the girl that I did it and paid for the jewellery, after that I didn’t know if I was meant to stay but I stayed for a good 2 mins and left and she didn’t tell me to stop or anything.

it was a stupid phase in my life and I won’t do it again, but will the cops track me down and come to my house and tell my parents about it ??? Keep in mind I’m only 14 years old Turning 15 this year.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
If you paid for it, then there is no offence.
It's over.