QLD Illegal to stock up on OTC codeine products before they're made prescription?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jonny Law

15 January 2016
I know a guy who's home was raided early last year and he had about 50 packets of panadeine extra and 10 packets of nurofen plus. These are pain medications with small amounts of codeine that you can purchase over the counter (without a prescription) this was while medsassist (real-time purchasing records) was in affect nationwide he said he blacked his name out of most but not all of the packets. The raid was drug related and they took drug paraphernalia but none of the codeine containing medications.
These medications will only be available on prescription next year. I know stocking up on prescription medication is illegal but my question is whether or not it would be illegal to have multiple packets saved once it becomes prescription? I think not as they were not prescription when bought but would like another's opinion.

Jonny Law

15 January 2016
I'm not asking for any sinister reasons by the way. I'm just dreading the time and money it would take to cure a simple headache come next year.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Why would anybody care how many boxes you buy unless you attracted attention by distributing them or having some involvement in other drug activity?

If by some unfathomable circumstance police found a large quantity in your house regardless of above, what would they do? Even if it is technically not breaking the law, could i say for certain police would not figure out some kind of charge? No - Police know how to make something somehow stick if they are determined enough!