NSW If Debt is Paid - Can They Ask for More?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tlevine

23 July 2015
If I paid the account and they agreed in writing that the debt was settled, can they come back and ask for more?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,
Can you please give some more information?
What is the account you have paid, under what circumstances and why are "they" asking you for more money?
Also, who are "they"?

tlevine

23 July 2015
Later, I discovered that a friend going on the same holiday package had received a 50% discount on the cost of his holiday via an email voucher. I had registered his details on the X-treme website at the same time as his friend, but did not received the same email voucher. Having unexpectedly lost my job, I telephoned X-treme, to ask for the discount to be applied to the balance of my holiday as I feared I may not be able to afford to pay it otherwise and would have to cancel the holiday, and explaining that I was a loyal customer. Thinking that they may obtain further custom from me if they acceded to my wishes, X-treme’s area manager orally agreed to the reduction in price.

The holiday went well, as planned – I had a great time hang-gliding, white-water rafting, abseiling and the like. X-treme then sent their invoice, asking for $2000. I protested vehemently, saying that X-treme should not renege on its earlier promise of the 50% discount on the balance, and saying that I would only pay $1000, as agreed. I then sent a cheque for this amount and X-treme wrote back to say the account had been settled.

X-treme suffered a downturn in business due to the credit crunch. They decided to seek to claim the $1000 from me, arguing that they were not bound to the area manager’s promise as no consideration had been given for it.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Is X-treme in Australia?

tlevine

23 July 2015
I was just wondering if legally X-treme can ask for more money if they already announced the payment as settled?