QLD If Car is Purchased by Drug Dealer - Likely Outcome?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
24 October 2018
Hey all,

This is my first time posting and I am having an argument with my friend who is worried about accepting cash for his car.

Basically he is worried that even if unaware of it, a drug dealer or someone else who made their funds illegally were to buy the car with real cash that if they were caught and the money they made was known to have been passed on in a sale that it would be confiscated in full along with the car leaving no compensation whatsoever for the seller.

I am curious as to what the legal outcome for the seller would be in the situation however unlikely it is more of a curiosity thing.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope - fill in the paperwork to transfer ownership. In NSW this requires the seller to write down the agreed sale price (people in nsw often decrease the amount because the buyer has to pay a sales tax, so it is common practice to reduce the amount on the paperwork to minimise this tax) but anyways. Once the car is legally transferred to the buyer, then the cops can chase the car and sell it if it was bought from the proceeds of drugs, but your mate should have nothing to worry about.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
In other words - Cops keep the car, your mate keeps the cash. Otherwise the coppers are double dipping.

24 October 2018
Exactly what I thought. He thought they had the right to comfiscate both as evidence and have no need to compensate for anything.

Cheers guys