QLD ICL Independent Child Lawyer Who Pays?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bobby Whitlow

23 March 2017
So I'm self representing in court at the moment in regards to wanting an order so I can see my daughter as my ex is alienating her from me.
An ICL has been appointed due to violence, from her.
I've read that legal aid will do an assessment of me? From the tables it appears as though my income is high enough to make payments but I have no spare cash.

Is it always so that someone has to contribute to legal aid? Do I just withdraw my case? As I can't afford anything at the moment or for the next few years.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
In theory, both sides may be unable to make the contribution to legal aid I guess, so no, it isn't so 'someone has to contribute' to legal aid... It's just so that those who can contribute do. I guess you would have to talk to legal aid to explain your position and see what they say. I don't have any experience in such matters so I can't say how legal aid would approach it and how they would make a decision.

Also, just a minor correction: your ex (I assume) isn't alienating your daughter, she's alienating you.