VIC I have a problem regarding messaging.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
15 June 2018
Hello all,
Recently, a friend of mine posted a screenshot on the gaming platform Discord of another one of my friends (for this scenario lets call the friend Jake) sending images of Japanese anime character portrayed in a sexual manner to another one of my friends who sent my first friend the screenshot. (All people that are involved in this incident are under the age of 16.)

Now Jake is threatening to take me to my school so that I can face disciplinary action he also said that he might contact the police if I don't delete the screenshot!

What should I do?

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
It is a little hard to know without further details, but I will try to cover a few things.

In some cases, even a cartoon, can be classified as Child Abuse Material. If the cartoon depicts children, even cartoon children, in a sexually explicit way. This could be seen as Distribute Child Abuse Material.

A course of conduct, i.e. continually harassing someone can be stalking.

The saving grace may be that you are ALL under 16.

The above are criminal matters.

There are also Civil options like an Intervention Order if one of the parties involved feels they are getting bullied or harassed.

Delete the screenshot, apologise and move on.