NSW Husband Cutting Off Necessities - Family Law Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JUANITA Hile

23 September 2018
Hi,

My husband and I are separating. We still live in the same home at the moment. He has told me that he is not buying my food or necessities anymore, only for him and our daughter. He is also cutting off my connection to the Wi-Fi as punishment for me going to the gym or having coffee with my friends.

I am studying a BA and need Wi-Fi. Is he legally able to just make me fend for myself?

I stopped working as I have Multiple Sclerosis so he is the breadwinner and any money I get for family tax he takes and makes me pay rent with it.

What can I do under Family Law?

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Hi Juanita, can I just suggest if that is your real name you are using as a forum user name, please change it to something that is not identifiable.

Your husband may be acting in a financially abusive manner. Gym and coffee are privleges but a necessity such as food is obviously different. I would make an appointment with a women's legal service. You will get free advice and be directed to services that can help you. I would also contact Centrelink and advise them that you are separated under the same roof. You may be able to start receiving additional parenting benefits whilst still under the same roof.

JUANITA Hile

23 September 2018
Hi Juanita, can I just suggest if that is your real name you are using as a forum user name, please change it to something that is not identifiable.

Your husband may be acting in a financially abusive manner. Gym and coffee are privleges but a necessity such as food is obviously different. I would make an appointment with a women's legal service. You will get free advice and be directed to services that can help you. I would also contact Centrelink and advise them that you are separated under the same roof. You may be able to start receiving additional parenting benefits whilst still under the same roof.
Yes, I pay for anything like gym or coffee with friends myself. I wouldn't dare ask for money from him. He is also verbally abusive and manipulative.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree, get some advice either from a women's legal service, or a local community legal service.

Restricting access to a gym while having a physical disability and needing physical exercise to manage the condition also seems to be a form of abuse.

Migz

20 November 2016
Just do what all women do in your position, take out a DVO on him, do it while he out working, and then have the locks changed, before you know it he will have breached it trying to get back in the house and you will have all your prayers answered by waving him goodbye as he heads off to the "big house"... interesting to note that you have internet access to post your question on here.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Just do what all women do in your position, take out a DVO on him, do it while he out working,

Why condone bad behaviour? And not all women do this.

Using the legal system to force someone out of their home should not be a trivial exercise.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Just do what all women do in your position, take out a DVO on him, do it while he out working, and then have the locks changed, before you know it he will have breached it trying to get back in the house and you will have all your prayers answered by waving him goodbye as he heads off to the "big house"... interesting to note that you have internet access to post your question on here.

What a pathetic, bitter response that doesn't help anyone. Just because it may have happened in your situation Migz, does not mean that all women do it. I left whilst my pathetic, bitter and twisted ex was working through the day (I worked afternoon and night shift so that I was not in his presence during those times - his danger times where I feared for my life) with one carload of stuff. I left with my mother and my son.

We had two houses on the property and I was in the second one with my mother and he continued his abuse until I did indeed take out a FVIO on him after being threatened for many years that if I left, he would kill me and my family. Just because my ex threatened to kill me and my family, does that mean that all males threaten to murder their wives?

She said he is cutting off the wifi, not that he has cut off the wifi. And in case you didn't realise, there's plenty of places around to access free wifi or maybe she has data with a mobile phone connection.

Migz

20 November 2016
No it shouldn't be a trivial exercise at all, but it is, and its fully supported even all the way up to the government level...The whole system is rotten to the core, from the magistrates courts to the federal courts. And DVO's have nothing to do with protection any longer, they are just used to control someone else entirely. I was even told the other day, "A DVO is supposed to be a shield, but they are being used as sword, these days", and judges and the police and police prosecutors are all allowing it to happen.

Hummingbird

1 August 2018
Juanita, what you describe is wandering close to financial abuse territory. Make an appointment with a lawyer or legal aid, and seek advice on how to handle the situation appropriately and legally. Also, document everything. If things escalate you may need evidence.