LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC How to Remove My Name from a Case on Google Search?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by EileenHa, 13 October 2015.

1. EileenHa

EileenHa Member

Hi, hoping someone can help. How can I remove my name from a case? When I google my name, recent cases appear - I would like this to not happen as my workplace and family do not know I have a conviction. I do not want them to know - as it would hurt both immensely and unecassarily. Could anyone please help me how I could request to remove this under Australian Law?

Thanks in advance

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Courts are meant to be public places and court cases are meant to be public records. This is one of the basic tenets of a democracy so we can see justice being done.

What you may be able to do is send a request in to Google to remove this information from the search results. Don't know how to do this but suspect a google search might give the answer you need. They are under no obligation to assist.

3. EileenHa

EileenHa Member

Unless you're a pedophile? Surely there is a way to make a request to the courts for this? Does anyone know of the avenues?

There are ways through Google I know but what I would like removed is my name from the record completely as I do not want a petty insignificant and victimless error to destroy my life.

4. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do through the Court itself. Such cases are legislated for publication and are public record.

The only alternative I can see is contacting Google, but as Rod said above, they're not under any obligation to assist.