VIC How to Remove My Name from a Case on Google Search?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

EileenHa

13 October 2015
Hi, hoping someone can help. How can I remove my name from a case? When I google my name, recent cases appear - I would like this to not happen as my workplace and family do not know I have a conviction. I do not want them to know - as it would hurt both immensely and unecassarily. Could anyone please help me how I could request to remove this under Australian Law?

Thanks in advance

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Courts are meant to be public places and court cases are meant to be public records. This is one of the basic tenets of a democracy so we can see justice being done.

What you may be able to do is send a request in to Google to remove this information from the search results. Don't know how to do this but suspect a google search might give the answer you need. They are under no obligation to assist.

EileenHa

13 October 2015
Unless you're a paedophile? Surely there is a way to make a request to the courts for this? Does anyone know of the avenues?

There are ways through Google I know but what I would like removed is my name from the record completely as I do not want a petty insignificant and victimless error to destroy my life.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do through the Court itself. Such cases are legislated for publication and are public record.

The only alternative I can see is contacting Google, but as Rod said above, they're not under any obligation to assist.