VIC How to prosecute someone who has been harassing me online

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Daisy55556677

13 January 2019
Hi,

I've ben harassed online - Facebook, Instagram, Whatasapp, email, phone calls - for 18+ months. The local police don't want anything to do with it, so I engaged a private investigator to look into the issue, and identify who's been doing it.

That work is now completed. So my question is: how do I get the police to take this seriously and lay charges against the individual? Further complicating the issue is that the person may be in a different state, although there were many instances when I was physically in the same state as the harasser. Should I see the police in that state?

Or should I speak to a lawyer and pursue something civil?

My main issue is that online harassment and bullying is illegal but the police have no ability to investigate or lay charges.

Thanks

Reag

5 April 2018
You could always name and shame.

I don't think they could sue you for defamation because they did something illegal, but I or you could be wrong.

Daisy55556677

13 January 2019
Thanks for the suggestion. This person has used, literally, dozens of fake accounts so naming and shaming won't help. They'll just create a new account. I want to throw the full force of the law at them.