WA How to Lower Child Support Payments?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jontyjom

16 June 2019
I own a small business. I am trying to lower my child support payments. I have done it before. The mother is money hungry. Originally, I was paying 600 per week, now it's 100 per week I pay. I would like to only pay 20 dollars per fortnight and was wondering how I can lower this on my tax legally.

The child is 3. I have nothing to do with it and never want to. She, the mother, is on her own. Any opinions on lowering a payment so they don't get much?

Hummingbird

1 August 2018
You are legally obligated to financially support the child, as a bare minimum of responsibility you take on when contributing to the creation of this child. The amount is calculated based on your income and the percentage of time you have visitation with the child. Unless the mother agrees, which in your case I certainly hope she doesn't, child support is not up for negotiation and should be based solely on the formula.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You want to get the CSA to do an assessment,
and then make a third party payment arrangement
to pay any revised amount.

LovingDad1973

9 July 2019
Mate, are you serious?

The child is yours then you have a financial commitment to that child. I don't mean to be rude but just man up and try to be a dad to your child.