QLD How to Include Voice Recording to Affidavit?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Adam2100

3 November 2015
Hello,

I would like to attach some voice recording in my affidavit between me and my child.

What is the proper format to do it?

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes,

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Transcription.

Adam2100

3 November 2015
What do you mean with transcription? Do I have to attach CD as annexure?

MartyK

4 June 2016
What is the voice recording? IMO if it's a conversation between you and your kid, purposely taped, I don't think it would be a good look to attach or transcribe the whole conversation. Could quote a few parts of it in affidavit instead.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Transcribe the conversation into words on paper. This becomes a true and accurate record of the conversation.

eg: [name1]: How was your day?
[Name2]: OK, didn't like school today.
[Name1] ........
etc

MartyK

4 June 2016
Maybe a general idea of some Judges views on tape recordings? Not a recording of parent and child but still an interesting view.

Halston & Halston (2013) FMCAfam 16

32. My greater concern arose in relation to the probative value of such recordings, balanced against the prejudicial nature of a recording where one of the parties to the recording is not aware that the conversation is being taped.

It is a matter which arises all too frequently, particularly in family law proceedings, and seems to have gathered support not only from parties to proceedings but also from legal representatives. It would seem, clearly, to be an evidence-gathering exercise and one that, in my view at least, holds little benefit for the party seeking to gather the evidence, but in fact gives rise to serious concerns as to the behaviours of the party who records such evidence.

sammy01

27 September 2015
What in general terms do you think the recording 'proves'?

What is the intention of the recording?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Don't include the recording. No matter how innocent your intentions were, the fact that you have taken the extra step of recording it makes you look like you've been coaching the kid or interrogating them for evidence inappropriately.

Instead, transcribe the discussion in your affidavit. I can't think of a single case where a parent has been praised for recording their conversations with their child. In one case, a parent took photos of a rash on their child's genitals alleging abuse and the court was more concerned by the fact that the parent photographed the child's genitals rather than what was in the actual image.