Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW How to Get Police to Drop AVO on Husband?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Teisha, 9 September 2015.

1. Teisha

Teisha Member

The police have put out an AVO that my partner can't come near me and our children. I didn't want the AVO, but they went ahead with it because our next door neighbour is a witness stating he dragged me in side.

He is in jail at the moment for another reason but I can't even take my children to see him. How can I get this dropped and fast?

2. Chris Aylward

Chris Aylward Member

Unfortunately for you, with considerable difficulty. Because it is a domestic violence matter and because there is a third party witness, the police are not likely to agree to lift the AVO. You may be able to seek a variation to allow for prison visit on the basis that the visit will be supervised and controlled by corrective services. This requires a variation by a magistrate and you would need to line it up with the police officer in charge first. Neither step is guaranteed of success.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Why "fast"?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...